Friday, September 4, 2009

Busy Busy Busy

I haven't had much of an opportunity to update.  The last 3 weeks have been very eventful, given that my second son was born on August 14.  With a 19-month-old and a newborn, well, it doesn't leave much room for updating a blog.  

Today is the last day of my 3rd 40 day fast.  To recap, I continued to abstain from chocolate and cokes, but added candy to that, as well.  I kept all of those, with one exception.  After the birth of my son, a good friend brought dinner over and she had made a yummy chocolate pudding cake.  She did not know that I was on a chocolate fast.  I considered not eating any of it.  But then I also thought about legalsim.  She had made that cake as a blessing to me.  Would it not be legalistic to not partake of even a little bit?  It wasn't the same situation as me standing in the grocery store checkout line trying to resist buying a piece of candy and then giving in out of weakness.  If she had asked me, I would have asked her not to make anything chocolate.  But she didn't ask so she didn't know.  She thought about something that I would enjoy and made it for me.  From scratch, I think.  

This may sound like a rationalization, but I couldn't go without having some of it.  Not because I couldn't resist the chocolate appeal, but because I wanted to be able to tell her that I enjoyed it very much and appreciated the trouble she went to in making it.  I wouldn't have been able to tell her that otherwise.  So that was my instance of straying from the fast.  But I hope it makes sense that only did so out of love and appreciation to a very dear friend.

I'll take my usual week off, and allow myself to enjoy a few things on the forbidden list.  However, I remember what happened last time, so I'll be sure to keep it under control.  I don't want another sore throat and drainage like last time.  Especially not with having to care for a newborn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment